The Streak Lives!
In what was sure to be a hard fought, heart attack having finish for the Bearcats last night’s game was any but. The Bearcats dominated SMU almost from start to finish. The Bearcats, now 3-0 in the American, showed why they were picked to finish first in the league last night. Even when SMU showed signs of life late in the second half the Bearcats never lost their cool.
Some things we saw last night:
- The offense was struggling at the start finally it picked up about half way through the first half.
- Cane Broome saw action last night after sitting out the past 2 games with an ankle sprain.
- He was limited though, he finished the game with 3 pts, 1 assist, 2 steals, and 3 turnovers in 12 minutes.
- Teddy (Jarron Cumberland) struggled from the floor. He tried to shoot his way out of it but it didn’t look good at any point in the night. He finished with 14 points somehow and at least 1 charge. His pull up jumper is still MIA.
- The Bearcats shot 28% in the first half and 58% in the second
- Only 11 turnovers for the game. Huge improvement over the Temple game.
- Shake Milton had a VERY quite 14 points last night. He only put up 5 shots in the first half.
- Jacob Evans III has Cronin’s confidence. Down the stretch the ball was in his hands.
- Gary Clark. Problem? Yes. The guy plays grown man basketball. He finished with 18 and 8.
- I said the Bearcats would score 77. They finished with 76 beating SMU by 20.
GIVE THIS MAN ALL OF THE AWARDS!
Dan Hoard is a living legend when it comes to radio calls here are the highlights as called by him:
And we can’t forget the #Beerofthegame
If SMU is supposed to be a top 4 team in the American the gap between 1 and 2 to 3 and 4 is huge.
Get your popcorn ready because tomorrow night at 6pm on ESPN2 it’s the Bearcats hosting SMU in their first meeting since the American Athletic Conference Tournament Championship game. I actually forgot that game happened mainly because I drank it out of my memory. SMU dominated the Bearcats in a thrashing with a final of 71-56.(They split the regular season match ups.) That was last year though and this year’s version of the Bearcats can respond.
Pretty much all you need to know about the Mustangs is Shake Milton. Yeah he’s still around. The Mustangs do have FIVE other players averaging double digits in scoring as well so they have no shortage of threats. Milton has the experience, the numbers, and the ability to do the most damage though. He put up 24 in a losing effort to Tulane the other night. Keep an eye on 6-9 freshmen #5 Ethan Chargois too. He’s averaging almost 13, 6, and 2.
We know our Bearcats squad by now. Feed Gary and let Jacob shoot it, press, and rebound. Mick keeps things pretty simple. Kyle Washington had a stand out performance against Temple while battling some foul trouble. If we could get him consistent each night this season would be a lot less stressful. Also Teddy (Jarron Cumberland) has to find his stroke. (0-6 against Temple) Listening to Dan Hoard (@Dan_Hoard) and Terry Nelson (@tnel33) on the radio broadcast it sounds like Terry coaches Teddy up when he’s at practice or around him, hopefully that pays off soon. We need him to knock down the open shots. (And for the love of God Teddy, pull up instead of bulldozing the defender for your 100th charge of the season)
The verdict is still out on Cane Broome too. He has sat out the last two games with an ankle sprain. Twitter really wanted him against Temple when the offense was struggling. I was right there with them, at times we felt like the ’09 Bearcats struggling to score. Broome sparks the offense with quick scores when we need it most. If I were Cronin he’d be in the starting lineup every game but with my opinion and $10 you can buy a six pack. Hopefully he is ready to against SMU but with Mick’s tendencies he’ll set out again with a week break in between this game and the next.
- Gary produces more than 2 points in a half
- Teddy knocks down open shots
- Post players show up on both ends of the floor
- Keep Milton in check (15 points or less)
- COMMIT LESS TURNOVERS THAN LAST GAME
- If all else fails give the ball to Jacob Evans III and let him win it
At the Buzzer…
The Bearcats will be victorious. You can’t beat the Cats at home, the steak will live to see 35. I think Gary and Kyle lead the way in this one. 77-65 Bearcats.
Hello everyone! We’ve decided to take the next step in our dedication or obsession with the Cincinnati Bearcats and craft beer to the next level. Twitter is awesome and you can still follow us there for hot takes, witty banter, and live game comments but be sure to check back here because we have a lot of stuff coming ahead. We’re about two things here the Bearcats and craft beer. We hope to bring you not only game previews, recaps, and thoughts on Bearcats happenings but also help highlight the ever growing world of beer in Cincy.
While we know sports and beer, blogs, websites, and this whole process is new so don’t expect cutting edge interweb features or super sleek web designs. Some stuff will be pretty crude but we learn and improve.
Cheers and Go Bearcats!