Here we go Bearcats, let’s make it 9 in a row!
Grab a beer and strap in for the Bearcats (15-2, 4-0) and the Knights (15-5, 3-2) Tuesday night at 7pm on the CBS Sports Network or in my case tuning into Dan and Terry on 700 WLW because I don’t have that stupid channel. Either way it should be a pretty good game and if the UCF basketball twitter is any indication, they’ll be ready for us, again.
Last year, we needed Knight Nation to take down #15 Cincinnati
— UCF Men's Basketball (@UCF_MBB) January 12, 2018
Last year the Bearcats and the Knights split their series, each winning at home. The game in Orlando was a classic rock and broken glass fight with the Knights winning 53-49, not ideal. This year UCF has some familiar faces, they’re still lead by Coach Dawkins, anchored by the BFG Tacko Fall, and if he’s healthy enough (which he probably will be because that’s how it goes) BJ Taylor. Fall leads the team in scoring with almost 12/game followed by AJ Davis at almost 11/game. Davis and Fall also lead the team in rebounding.
The thing about this year’s Knight is they wouldn’t fall under my Typical AAC team criteria. They don’t have an awful loss. Their worst two losses are Missouri and UCONN. Yes, at this point I’d consider UCONN a bad loss, they’re terrible. That UCONN loss was just last 5 days ago and the last game they’ve played. They’ll be hungry to bounce back after that. Also, they did get DOMINATED by West Virginia, 83-45.
The Knights only allow about 55 points per game, which is pretty damn good but the Bearcats are scoring 79 per game something will have to give.
If the Bearcats want to head out of Florida with 2 wins, here are the Keys to the Game:
- Knock down the 3. Tacko Fall will be guarding the paint like no other. He’s huge and points in the paint will be at a premium
- 10 or less turnovers, the Bearcats committed only 8 on Saturday against USF which was vital in an almost stagnant first half
- Teddy needs to carry over his stroke. He had 18 on Saturday and finally found his stroke. If he’s on like that, March will be really fun
- Get Tacko into foul trouble and off the court
- Gary has to be aggressive not subtle, catch the ball and make a move, don’t wait for the double team
- We still need JEIII to catch that killer instinct he’s become the Alpha in recent games now its time to take it one step further, remember he’s a man and believes in himself
- More production from the PG position, Jenifer and/or Broome, we need more than we got on Saturday
In addition to the keys of the game I think we’ll see more of Brooks, who was effective off of the bench on Saturday with 6pts, 2 rebs, 2 blks, in 9 minutes. We should see Nas squaring up with Tacko more than once.
I like the Bearcats in this one 69-57