The top 9 names for the Bearcats beer that may never be…
The University of Cincinnati needs to partner with a local brewery to put out a Bearcats brew stat. We know the craft beer scene in this city is top notch and there are several breweries in town with the ability to make this happen. Will the University ever come out of its shell of sobriety and partner with a local craft brewery to give the Bearcats brand it’s own beer? Putting the brand and logo on beer koozies and pint glasses is fine, but an actual beer is apparently where the University draws the line. A lot of people think this will never happen but we certainly hope UC comes around. There are already a number of universities leading the way on this. Here’s what I found so far…
- LSU – Bayou Bengal Lager brewed by Tin Roof Brewing
- Tulane – Green Wave Wheat by NOLA brewing
- U of Louisiana – Lafayette – Ragin’ Cajuns Genuine Louisiana Ale, from Bayou Teche Brewing
- Colorado State – Old Aggie Lager by New Belgium Brewing
- New Mexico State – Pistol Pete’s 1888 Ale by Bosque Brewing Co.
- University of Montana –Griz Montana Lager by Big Sky Brewing
- Purdue – Boiler Golden-American Golden Ale by People’s Brewing Co.
- *New* Northern Kentucky University- Norse Pale Ale by Braxton Brewing Co.
If you want to know more about these beers you can check out the wishlist on my Untappd profile (@thebeercat1) under college beers.
We know that at least one major brewery in town (Madtree) has reached out to UC and was shot down.
The closest thing we have is Oso Gato (spanish for Bear Cat) which is a collaboration beer between Rhinegeist and Loma Brewing, the California brewery owned by former UC baseball standout and World Series winner Kevin Youkilis.
That’s really too bad because the possibilities are almost endless and here are some of my ideas:
- Five More Yards to go then Hop. Bearcats football fans could easily turn to this one on Saturdays. Breweries love the hop puns. I think this one works well. Make it an IPA around 6% and throw the Jimmy Nippert stiff arm pose on the label.
- Mick & Mack Attack. A milk Stout with obvious branding.
- Ring of Red. A Red IPA and an honorable brew.
- The Grid Gang. We tailgate at the grid, make a beer out of it with the Sigma Sigma landmarks. Make it a session IPA 4.5% sounds about right and lets crush them on game day.
- Back-to-Back. A throwback beer of the 2 National Championships. Obviously it would need to be a double IPA because once wasn’t good enough when it came to titles, the same for hops. Somewhere on the can it would need to throw shade at the useless nuts up north. 10% and 100 IBUs.
- Down the Drive. *chug* *chug* *chug* UC! A pale ale at 6% with 61 or 62 IBUs
- Lets Gose UC! A tart gose beer that starts with Ohh Ohh Ohh!
- Bearcat. A bock beer. It would fit in nicely with a certain OTR brewery’s line up of other cat themed beers. (Saber Tooth Tiger, Cougar, Panther, and Puma) Just throw red and black stripes on the can.
- Kings of the Queen City. An Imperial vanilla bean stout, 12%
- Huggy (Brown) Bear Ale. A brown ale
- The Victory Ale. A nice starter beer before making your way to the annual battle for the Victory Bell. Increase some stat for each year the Bearcats keep it.
- Crosstown Kolsh. A light, crushable beer for when haymakers or crutches might be thrown.
- The Fight of Fickell. A Helles Lager that brings the pain.
Lets get this done UC!
Have a beer name we should add to the list? Let me know your suggestion on social media.